Experts are unsure of the store’s idea of ​​expanding in Hereford

MORE information is needed about plans to expand a downtown Hereford store into the neighboring unit, conservationists have said.

Mountain Warehouse has asked Herefordshire Council if they can drive to the nearby store, which once housed GAME, as they need a bigger store but don’t want to leave High Town.

The gaming channel recently moved into Sports Direct’s new home in Commercial Street, next to Flannels, all of which are owned by Mike Ashley’s Frasers Group.

If Herefordshire Council accepts listed building permission for the plans, the wall dividing 12 and 13 High Town will be removed.

This would “create a single retail unit for existing tenant Mountain Warehouse”, a store specializing in outdoor clothing and equipment.

Consultants working on the project said Mountain Warehouse wanted a bigger store and wanted to expand rather than move to another unit.

They said access to the site is from High Town and the Maylord Shopping Center service area, and no changes are expected.

But they might want to change the storefront in the future because of how the two stores have become one.

More details on this will be released in due course, they said.

The three-storey building, above a basement, is Grade II listed, so Herefordshire Council must agree to work before it is completed.

But when consulting with his conservation team, more details were needed.

Buildings conservation manager Conor Ruttledge said there were no heritage objections to the proposed removal of the modern dividing wall and staircase to combine the existing workshop space.

But he said it is also proposed to remove a section of wall to provide additional access to the rear of No 12.

He said there was no information or assessment regarding this stage of the plans.

If the wall is historic, relating to the old layout of No. 13, then it is potentially the last remaining part on the ground floor, he said.

This means there is unlikely to be a ‘clear and convincing justification’ for its removal as access to the back of No 12 already exists.

“Additional information will be required to support this aspect of the application, or it may be deleted from the proposals,” Ruttledge said.

Consultation on the plans has not been closed, with planners previously setting a target date of June 9 for a decision.

About Adam Motte

Check Also

A 48-seat theater has opened in a Millinocket building that has stood unused for nearly 20 years

Randy Jackson is not the kind of person who can sit back and wait for …